Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Fasting for Russian Orthodox Christians: Potato Soup

With the no-oil days home cooking can be a bit difficult. Today was cold and I decided I was in the mood for potato soup.

Yes, there's a whole lot of dill, parsley, and black pepper in there.

If you follow this blog, you will know that I already tried to make this once and ended up making mashed potatoes instead because the cashew milk split. I still don't know what caused that, but today's experiment went quite a bit better.

I cooked 4 hefty potatoes in the pressure cooker on a rack (5 minutes, natural release) and left the skins on because I like it that way. I drained out the water and put the potatoes back in, minus the rack, and filled the pot with cashew milk about halfway up the sides of the potatoes, put it on to boil, added dill, parsley, black pepper, and two bay leaves. Once the cashew milk was boiling I lightly mashed the potatoes for a little body to the soup, served, and finished with a sprinkle of salt. That made two heaping bowls of soup. Just what I needed on a cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment